Director, PhD Program / Assistant Dean for Research / Associate Professor
|Director, PhD Program / Assistant Dean for Research / Associate Professor|
|WSU College of Nursing|
PO Box 1495
Spokane, WA 99210-1495
Dr. Celestina Barbosa-Leiker is an Assistant Professor, PhD Program Director, and Director for the Program of Excellence in Addictions Research (PEAR) in the College of Nursing. PEAR currently manages over 14 million dollars in grant funding from a diverse set of funding agencies. Her research focuses on longitudinal relationships between psychosocial predictors of substance use and cardiovascular and kidney disease. Because of the critical need in substance use and cardiovascular and kidney disease research for psychometrically sound scales, her research also addresses the psychometric assessment of health scales. Dr. Barbosa-Leiker is also actively involved in an NIH P20 grant titled “Collaborative Action toward Community Health (CATCH)” as a member of a Research Core assisting three randomized controlled trials to design and analyze data. She serves on the Training Core for CATCH as a statistical mentor to American Indian/Alaska Native faculty.
- PhD in Psychology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- MS in Psychology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- BS in Psychology, Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater, MA
- Collaborative Action Toward Community Health
- Clinical Trials Network: Pacific Northwest Node
- Combined Behavioral Treatment Analog Trial for the Treatment of Alcohol and Nicotine Co-Addiction
- Internet-based Pain Self-Management for Persistent Pain Populations on Methadone Maintenance
- Diabetes Prevention in Pharmacies
- Substance Use & Mental Health Collaborative for Rural American Indian Adolescents
- The Effect of Contingency Management and Educational Entertainment on Tobacco Abstinence in Postpartum Women Study
- Total Worker Health Among New Nurses: An Instrument Development Study
- Multiple Family Groups, Mindfulness and the Management of Chronic Pain, and High Risk Opiate Use
- Advancing Longitudinal Statistical Methods for Substance Use Disorder Clinical Trials
- PCAP Pilot Investigation of CM for Smoking Among Pregnant Women Postpartum
- Refinement of the Genomic Nursing Concept Inventory
Substance use, cardiovascular and chronic kidney disease, mental health, health disparities, health-related surveys
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Alcohol use, opiate withdrawal, psychological stress, psychometrics, longitudinal data analysis, clinical trial data.
- Member, Psychologists for Social Responsibility, 2006-present
- Member, American Psychological Association, 2007-present
- Member, American Psychological Association Division 5- Evaluation, Measurement and Statistics, 2007-present
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Washington State University College of Nursing Excellence in Research, 2012
PUBLICATIONS (selected from 45)
McPherson, S., Howell, D., Lewis, J. M., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Metoyer, P. B., & Roll, J. M. (in press). Self-Reported Smoking Effects and Comparative Value Between Cigarettes and High Dose E-cigarettes in Nicotine Dependent Cigarette Smokers. Behavioural Pharmacology.
Ward, L. D., French, B. F., Barbosa-Leiker, C, & Iverson. A. E. (2016). Application of Exploratory Factor Analysis and Item Response Theory to Validate the Genomic Nursing Concept Inventory. Journal of Nursing Education, 55, 9-17.
McPherson, S., Brooks, O., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Lederhos, C., Lamp, A., Murphy, S., Layton, M., & Roll, J. (accepted). Examining stimulant use and treatment attendance as parallel outcomes in two contingency management randomized clinical trials. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
Schenk, E., Corbett, C., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Postma, J., &. Butterfield, P. (accepted). Psychometric Properties of the Nurses’ Environmental Awareness Tool (NEAT). Journal of Nursing Measurement.
Mamey, M., Barbosa-Leiker, C., McPherson, S., Burns, L., Parks, C.D, Roll, J. (accepted). An application of analyzing the trajectories of two disorders: A parallel piecewise growth model of substance use and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.
Sleutal, M., Barbosa-Leiker, C., & Wilson, M. (accepted). Psychometric testing of a modified evidence-based practice instrument. Journal of Nursing Measurement.
Schenk, E., Butterfield, P., Postma, J., Barbosa-Leiker, C., & Corbett, C. (accepted). Creating the Nurses’ Environmental Awareness Tool (NEAT). Workplace Health & Safety.
Katz, J. R., Barbosa-Leiker, C., & Benavides-Vaello, S. (in press). Measuring the Success of a Pipeline Program to Increase Nursing Workforce Diversity. Journal of Professional Nursing.
Senger, B., Ward, L., Barbosa-Leiker, C., & Bindler, R. (2015). Stress and coping of parents caring for a child with Mitochondrial Disease. Applied Nursing Research.
Barbosa-Leiker, C., McPherson, S., Mamey, M., Burns, L., Layton, M., Roll, J., & Ling W. (2015). Examining the factor structure of the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 152, 218-223.
Clark, C.M., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Gill, L., & Nguyen, D.T., &. (2015). Student. Revision and psychometric testing of the Incivility in Nursing Education (INE) survey: Introducing the INE-R. Journal of Nursing Education, 54, 306-315.
Barbosa-Leiker, C., Fleming, S., Hollins Martin, C.J., & Martin, C. (2015).Psychometric properties of the Birth Satisfaction Scale-Revised (BSS-R) for US mothers. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 33. 1-8.
Bakosh, L.S., Snow, R.M., Tobias, J.M., Houlihan, J.L., Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2015). Maximizing mindful learning: An innovative mindful awareness intervention improves elementary school students' quarterly grades. Mindfulness.
Strand, P.S., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Arellano, M., & Downs, A. (2015). Exploring the bi-directionality of emotion understanding and preschooler classroom behavior: A latent variable analysis. Social Development, 24, 579-600.
Wilson, M., Roll, J., Corbett, C., Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2015). Empowering patients with persistent pain using an Internet-based self-management program. Pain Management Nursing. Advance online publication June 15, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2014.09.009 .
McIvain, S., Miller, B., Lawhead, B., Barbosa-Leiker, C., & Anderson, A. (2015). Piloting yoga and the Trait Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire on a residential behavioral health unit. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 22, 199-207.
McPherson, S., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Mamey, M., McDonell, M., Enders, C. K., & Roll, J. (2015). A ‘Missing Not at Random’ (MNAR) and ‘Missing at Random’ (MAR) growth model comparison with a buprenorphine/naloxone clinical trial. Addiction, 110, 51-58.