Assistant Research Professor, IREACH
|Assistant Research Professor, IREACH|
|1213, Suite 1200|
|Institute for Research and Education to Advance Community Health|
1100 Olive Way, Suite 1200
Seattle, WA 98101
Astrid Suchy-Dicey is an epidemiologist with career interests in chronic and aging-related disease. She joined the faculty of the College of Nursing in 2015. Her work aims to understand complex disease systems, particularly those involving metabolic and dynamic disturbance of biological functions related to the blood. A driving force in her research program is to question assumptions of simplicity in human health and illness. Her research on novel evaluations of blood pressure has helped to establish that mean blood pressure provides an inadequate summary of inter-individual differences in organ function and disease risk. Her evaluation of a novel measure of kidney function challenges the use of filtration-specific disease models in clinical nephrology. Other work addresses the etiology and long-term outcomes of diabetes, kidney disease, and cerebrovascular disease, with a special focus on neurodegeneration.
- PhD in Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- MS in Epidemiology with Graduate Certification in Public Health Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- BA in History and Biology, Smith College, Northampton, MA
1) Epidemiology of chronic diseases related to aging, 2) complex systems of balance in human physiology, and 3) health disparities in U.S. minority populations.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
1) Quantitative analytics, and 2) novel methods for evaluating metabolic and cardiovascular diseases.
- American Heart Association, 2008-present
- American Society of Nephrology, 2013-present
HONORS AND AWARDS
- GUMSHOE Fellow, National Research Mentoring Network, 2015
- Kidney Stars Fellow, American Society of Nephrology, 2014
- Warren G. Magnuson Scholar Award, University of Washington School of Public Health, 2013
- Cardiovascular Epidemiology Training Fellowship, University of Washington, 2008
- Research Excellence Award in Biomedical Research, Brigham Research Institute, 2008
- Cerebrovascular Disease and its Consequences in the Strong Heart Study Cohort
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center
Adamo L, Naveiras O, Wenzel PL, McKinney-Freeman S, Mack PJ, Gracia-Sancho J, Suchy-Dicey A, Yoshimoto M, Lensch MW, Yoder MC, García-Cardeña G, Daley GQ. Biomechanical forces promote embryonic haematopoiesis. Nature. 2009;459(7250):1131-5.
Schnabel RB, Aspelund T, Li G, Sullivan LM, Suchy-Dicey A, . . . , Heckbert SR. Validation of an atrial fibrillation risk algorithm in whites and African Americans. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(21):1909-17.
Suchy-Dicey AM, Enquobahrie DA, Heckbert SR, Rotter JI, Psaty BM, McKnight B. Hemodynamic fluid shear stress response genes and carotid intima-media thickness: a candidate gene association analysis in the cardiovascular health study. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2012;3(2):174-8.
Suchy-Dicey A, Wallace ER, Mitchell SV, Aguilar M, Gottesman RF, Rice K, Kronmal R, Psaty BM, Longstreth WT Jr. Blood pressure variability and the risk of all-cause mortality, incident myocardial infarction, and incident stroke in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Am J Hypertens. 2013;26:1210-1217.
Westra HJ, Peters MJ, Esko T, . . . , Suchy-Dicey A, . . ., Franke L. Systematic identification of trans eQTLs as putative drivers of known disease associations. Nat Genet. 2013;45(10):1238-43.
Suchy-Dicey A, Heckbert SR, Smith NL, McKnight B, Rotter JI, Chen YI, Psaty BM, Enquobahrie DA. Gene expression in thiazide diuretic or statin users in relation to incident type 2 diabetes. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2014;5(1):22-30.
Floyd JS, Sitlani CM, Wiggins KL, Wallace E, Suchy-Dicey A, Abbasi SA, Carnethon MR, Siscovick DS, Sotoodehnia N, Heckbert SR, McKnight B, Rice KM, Psaty BM. Variation in resting heart rate over 4 years and the risks of myocardial infarction and death among older adults. Heart. 2015;101:132-138.
Peters MJ, Joehanes R, Pilling LC, Schurmann C, Conneely KN, Powell J, . . ., Suchy-Dicey AM, . . . , Johnson AD. The transcriptional landscape of age in human peripheral blood. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8570.
Suchy-Dicey AM, Laha T, Hoofnagle A, Newitt R, Sirich TL, Meyer TW, Thummel KE, Yanez ND, Himmelfarb J, Weiss NS, Kestenbaum BR. Tubular Secretion in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Nov 27. [Epub]
Hiratsuka VY, Suchy-Dicey AM, Garroutte EM, Booth-LaForce C. Patient and provider factors associated with American Indian and Alaska Native adolescent tobacco use screening. J Prim Care Community Health. 2015 Aug 27. [Epub]
McDonell MG, Nepom JR, Leickly E, Suchy-Dicey A, Hirchak K, Echo-Hawk A, Schwartz SM, Calhoun D, Donovan D, Roll J, Ries R, Buchwald D. A culturally-tailored behavioral intervention trial for alcohol use disorders in three American Indian communities: Rationale, design, and methods. Contemp Clin Trials. 2015 Dec 16. [Epub]