Clinical Assistant Professor
|Clinical Assistant Professor|
|WSU College of Nursing|
PO Box 1495
Spokane, WA 99210-1495
Dana Dermody's program of research is aimed at preventing functional decline in the hospitalized geriatric population. Dana is interested in the development, testing, and implementation of innovative patient-centered technologies that can interface with both nurses and patients and members of the interdisciplinary team to promote patient-centered mobility, decrease the burden on nurse documentation and improve interdisciplinary communication and collaboration--all of which lead to better health outcomes for the older adult patient. While her current focus is in the acute care setting, in the future Dana hopes to expand her program of study to include the prevention of functional decline in independent-living community dwelling older adults.
- BSN Saint Anthony College of Nursing Rockford, IL
- MSN with clinical leadership focus Saint Xavier Chicago, IL
- Post-master’s in nursing education Saint Xavier University, Chicago, IL
- Post-master’s in Applied Gerontology Helen Bader School for Social Welfare, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- Currently PhD nursing dissertator University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- Nationally board certified as a Clinical Nurse Leader
Gerontology, gerontologic nursing, prevention of functional decline in older adults, evidence-based practice in the acute care setting; patient-centered care, care coordination and nursing care delivery, interdisciplinary team, complexity science and translational science. Issues with nurse-documentation in the electronic health record; microsystem and macrosystem factors that contribute to barriers to the integration of evidence-based nursing care delivery; Evidence-based–practice, nursing care delivery in the global context, and the development of partnerships with the international community.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Gerontologic nursing, Nursing leadership, Project management, Evidence-based Practice, Clinical Nurse Leader Curriculum, Healthcare systems and organizational behavior, Cultural competence/social justice
- Western Institute of Nursing, 2015- present
- International Council for Nurses, 2014-presenet
- Clinical Nurse Leader Association, 2011-present
- Sigma Theta Tau International Phi Omicron (since 2011)-now Delta Chi 216 since 2015
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best Innovation Award for: Creating a Legacy through Nursing Leadership, Innovation, and Global Connectivity. Nurses Expo, Rockford, IL (Poster), 2015
- Best student poster: The Evolution of a Nurse-Driven Mobility Initiative on a Certified Stroke Unit: Pioneering the CNL Role in a Magnet Designated Medical Center. Nurses Expo, Rockford, IL (Poster), 2012
- Urata, K., Katsumata, A., Dermody, G. (2015). Japanese Red Cross International College of Nursing ($30,000). Grant toward the development of Japanese Faculty with CNL certification, facilitation of CNL curriculum development, and integration of the Clinical Nurse Leader in Japanese Red Cross hospitals.
- Chancellor Award, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2013-14
- Harriet Werely Doctoral Fellowship, UWM, 2014
- Mathy Mezzey Scholarship (NEF), 2014
- Stateline Nurses Expo Doctoral Student Scholarship, 2014
- Helen Bader Scholarship for Studies in Aging, UWM, 2013
Katsumata, A., Dermody, G., Kakuta, M. (2015). The Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) (Japanese). Japanese Journal of Nursing Administration, 25(12), 1098-1110 (Igaku Shoin, Tokyo).
Dermody, G. & Zimmermann, J. (2016) Promoting evidence-based Practice: Identifying the micro system barriers that Nurses Encounter in Promoting Mobility in hospitalized older patient. AACN CNL Summit (Poster Presentation) (Jan 2016).
Dermody, G. Katsumata, A., Lizer, S., Thomas, T. (2015) Fostering the Integration of the Clinical Nurse Leader Role in Japan through a Multidisciplinary Clinical Immersion Program in the United States. Sigma Theta Tau 43rd Biennial Convention, (podium) as a part of a session entitled "Global Perspectives." Las Vegas (November, 2015).
Dermody, G., (2015). Competent CNL: Here is how I translated my projects to a poster. AACN/CNC CNL Research Symposium (Invited Presentation).
Dermody, G., Katsumata, A. Bartlet, T. Thomas, T. (2015). Creating an Immersion Experience to Promote Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Certification for Qualified Nursing Faculty. AACN's 2015 CNL Summit (Podium Presentation).
Dermody, G. & Katsumata, A. (2015). Caring for patients at the end-of-life: A case of moral distress. Japan Nurses Association-Kumamoto Chapter, (invited presentation).
Dermody, G. & Katsumata, A. (2015). The implementation of the Clinical Nurse Leader role in the Japanese healthcare context. Japan Nurses Association-Kumamoto Chapter, (invited presentation).
Dermody, G. & Katsumata, A. (2015). Transitions into practice and ethical dilemmas in acute care: Why am I a nurse? Annual International Forum, Red-Cross International College of Nursing, Kyushu, (invited presentation).
Dermody, G. & Katsumata, A. (2015). Implementation of the Clinical Nurse Leader role into the Red-Cross system in Japan: Creating the readiness for change (2015). 5-Day seminar, Red-Cross International College of Nursing, Kyushu, (invited presentation).
Dermody, G. & Katsumata, A. (2015). The significance of clinical microsystems in reducing falls in acute care settings. Kyoto City Hospital, invited presentation).