|WSU College of Nursing|
PO Box 1495
Spokane, WA 99210-1495
Denise Smart has 34 years of nursing experience in both civilian and military institutions. Her doctoral studies in public health have provided her with a broad understanding of population specific risk factors. She has focused on women and children’s health for 20 years and served on the Occupational Health Working Group for the Air National Guard for seven years. Denise has participated in numerous disaster response military exercises and she has conducted both funded and unfunded research in the fields of sleep and shift work in nurses, compassion fatigue in hospital staff, mastitis education in undergraduate nursing students, and physiologic responses to disaster training in Army and Air National Guard personnel.
- DrPH, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda CA
- MPH Health Education, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
- BSN, University of Alaska, Anchorage, AK
- Innovative Strategies for Healthcare Organizations to Increase Participation in Early Return to Work Programs
Women’s health, nursing workforce health, military health, lactation
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal, 2012
- Washington State University College of Nursing Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010
- Delta Chi Chapter-at-Large Excellence in Nursing Education Award, 2008
- Air Force Commendation Award, 2004, 2009, and 2010
- Air Force Achievement Medal for outstanding achievement, 2000 and 2009
Oermann, M., Kardong-Edgren, S., Odom-Maryon, T., Ha, Y., McColgan, J., Hurd, D., Rogers, N., Resurreccion, L., Snelson, C., Kuerschner, D., Haus, C., Smart, D., LaMar, J., Hallmark, B., Tennant, M., & Dowdy, S. (2010). HeartCode™ BLS with Voice Assisted Manikin for Teaching Nursing Students: Results of a Preliminary Study. Nursing Education Perspectives. (Accepted for publication).
Smart, D.A., Castillo, M.J., Bruya, M., & Dekker, L. (2010) Outcomes of Teaching Baccalaureate Nursing Students About Mastitis Utilizing a Multimodal Teaching Tool. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. (Accepted).
Katz, J., Smart, D.A., & Paul, R. (2010). Creating a Path: American Indian/Alaska Native High School Students Pursuing College and a Career in Nursing. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. (Accepted).
Allen, C., Smart, D., & Swain, D. (2010).The Value of Community-Focused Care in Peru: Influence on Cultural Competency in Health Professions Students. Journal of Community Health Nursing. (In Review).
Fleming, S., Smart, D, Eide, P. (2010). Grand Multiparous perceptions of Birth, Nurse Care and Childbirth Technology. Journal of Perinatal Education. (In Review).